Tetracycline Capsule 250 mg
Each capsule contains:
Tetracycline hydrochloride 250 mg
Oral tetracycline is indicated for treatment of Brucellosis, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Acne, peptic ulcer desease and Chlamydia trachomatis Infections.
- The tetracyclines are contraindicated in patients hypersensitive to any of this group of antibacterials.
- May cause permanent teeth discoloration during tooth development (last half of pregnancy, infancy and childhood to 8 yrs of age); avoid use in this age group unless other drugs are not likely to be effective or are contraindicated.
Precaution & warnings:
- May lead to excessive systemic accumulation and possible liver toxicity if renal impairment exists; lower than usual doses are indicated and if therapy is prolonged, determine serum levels.
- Photosensitivity reported; discontinue at first evidence of skin erythema.
- Care should be taken if tetracyclines are given to patients with hepatic impairment and high doses should be avoided.
- Serum monitoring may be helpful in patients with risk factors given prolonged therapy. It has been suggested that serum concentration of tetracycline should not exceed 15 mcg/mL.
- To avoid the risk of oesophageal ulceration, take with plenty of fluid while sitting or standing, and well before going to bed.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding:
Category D, not for use in nursing.
Dosage and administration:
500mg bid or 250mg qid; may require higher doses (eg, 500mg qid) for severe infections or for those infections not responsive to smaller doses
Continue for at least 24-48 hrs after symptoms and fever subside
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, diarrhea, maculopapular/erythematous rashes, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, nail discoloration.
- May interfere with bactericidal action of penicillin; do not coadminister.
- May depress plasma prothrombin activity; may require downward adjustment of anticoagulant dose.
- Fatal renal toxicity reported with concurrent methoxyflurane.
- Antacids containing aluminum, Ca2+, or Mg2+, and preparations containing iron, zinc, or sodium bicarbonate may impair absorption.
- Food and dairy products may interfere with absorption. May render oral contraceptives less effective.
- Store below 30°C.
- Protect from light and moisture
- Do not use after expiration date.